Arias Sanguinetti Wang & Team, LLP Can Help Protect Your Legal Rights.
Female patients may have been sexually exploited by Dr. Heaps over the course of at least ten years. Some may have thought his conduct was inappropriate, but did not realize to what extent. If you were a patient and have concerns about his conduct, please contact us for a free confidential evaluation with no obligation to move forward with a case. If you decide to move forward, California law permits victims of sexual assault or abuse to remain nameless, so your case could be filed as “Jane Doe.”
Dr. Heaps practiced at UCLA Health Center, Ronald Reagan UCLA Hospital, and UCLA Medical Group. On June 11, 2019, he was arrested and has been charged with sexual battery by fraud and one count of sexual exploitation with two patients by the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office. Additional patients have already come forward since this announcement. For more information contact our Los Angeles sexual abuse lawyer.
We’ve Recovered Over
One Billion Dollars For Our Clients
If You Were a Patient of Dr. Heaps, Don’t Suffer in Silence.
Get the Justice You Deserve Today From Two of the Nation’s Leading Law Firms.
Arias Sanguinetti Wang & Team (AWST), in conjunction with Janet, Janet & Suggs (JJS), has been on the front lines of advising and representing thousands of women who were victimized by their physicians, including by Dr. George Tyndall at University of Southern California (USC).
For more information contact our Los Angeles personal injury lawyer.
What Is The Alleged “Sexually Abusive Behavior” By Dr. Heaps?
According to information released by UCLA, the university terminated Dr. Heaps’s employment due to misconduct allegations relating to:
- Inappropriate and medically unnecessary touching and communications during a gynecologic procedures.
- Substantiated violation of UCLA’s Sexual Violence and Sexual Harassment policy.
He was also reported to the Medical Board of California.
When Did UCLA Learn About Dr. Heaps Alleged Misconduct?
The first complaint came in 2008, according to the Associated Press, but UCLA authorities did not respond. Dr. Heaps was allowed to continue to examine female gynecological patients despite a history of similar complaints of alleged misconduct and abuse. UCLA began investigating Heaps in December 2017 following:
- a California Medical Board investigation in 2014 (at or near the time that UCLA apparently acquired Dr. Heaps’ practice), based on information involved allegations of sexual misconduct during a patient examination; and
- at least one claim that he sexually harassed and molested a UCLA student that was posted online in a public forum in early 2015.
When was Dr. Heaps employed by UCLA?
OB/Gyn at UCLA Health
- 1990 to January 31, 2014
Private practice (UCLA patients were referred to him) Privileges at the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center
- 1989 until 2018
UCLA Medical School faculty
- 1989-June 2010
Consulting physician for UCLA Student Health
- 1983 to 1989
Internship and residency in obstetrics and gynecology and a fellowship in gynecologic oncology at UCLA School of Medicine
Los Angeles Patient of Dr. James Heaps Lawyer Near Me 310-844-9696
Delivering Justice for Thousands of Women Abused During Ob/Gyn Exams
Arias Sanguinetti is known throughout the country for successfully fighting for justice on behalf of women who have been victims of sexual misconduct. The national law firm of Janet, Janet & Suggs has delivered justice for thousands of women abused during gynecologists’ pelvic and breast exams. Violations in some of these cases have included unnecessary and inappropriate probing, touching, comments, and photography.
Arias Sanguinetti, LLP has proven trial experience – having tried cases involving major personal injuries, class actions, mass plaintiff wage and hour claims, wrongful death, products liability, medical malpractice, and employment issues. Over the last 30+ years, the firm’s attorneys have recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for the firm’s clients. The firm is led by Mike Arias, who is also
2019 President of the Consumer Attorneys of California
- Led by attorney Howard Janet,Esq. with Janet, Janet & Suggs’ effective and compassionate experience in representing survivors includes:
- Serving as co-liaison counsel for hundreds of USC female students in litigation against the University and their gynecologist, Dr. George Tyndall, for allegations regarding sexual misconduct.
- Historic $190M settlement with Johns Hopkins Hospital regarding sexual harassment and inappropriate conduct by OB/GYN, Dr. Nikita Levy. The settlement secured by JJS is one of the largest in a sexual abuse case against a single abuser in U.S. history and helped women abused by Dr. Levy get the justice they deserved.
- Achieving life-changing settlement against Penn State University on behalf of a Victim 6 who was sexual abused at age 11 by Assistant Coach Jerry Sandusky.
- Surivivors of sexual abuse at the hands of Catholic priests and the bishops who protected them.
MEET TWO KEY MEMBERS OF OUR ADVOCACY TEAM
Kate Harvey-Lee, a Senior Trial Lawyer at AWST, is participating in the representation of class members. A tireless advocate for the rights of victims and women, Kate brings extensive experience in complex litigation and class action matters. She has successfully resolved hundreds of matters during her career and helped to recover millions of dollars for her clients through verdicts and settlements.
Natalie D’Antonio’s practice primarily focuses on representing victims of sexual abuse. As a member of the Sexual Abuse Division, Natalie specializes in cases against institutions that enable sexual abuse including the Catholic Church, schools, hospitals and countless others. Prior to joining JJS, Natalie served as an Assistant State’s Attorney in Anne Arundel County Maryland and worked in the Special Victim’s Unit; prosecuting on behalf of victims of domestic violence, intimate partner rape and sexual assault.
Disclaimer: Howard Janet – Janet, Janet & Suggs, LLC – 4 Reservoir Circle, Suite 200, Baltimore, MD 21208 – Phone: (410)-653-3200. Mike Arias – Arias Sanguinetti, LLP – 6701 Center Drive West, 14th Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90045 – Phone: (310)-844-9696. The use of the Internet for communications with either law firm will not establish an attorney-client relationship; however, your responses here will be kept strictly confidential. Please contact an attorney for a consultation on your particular legal matter. Past results do not guarantee future outcomes. Services not available in all states based on this communication.