Pregnancy and childbirth are supposed to be joyous and memorable experiences for expecting mothers. However, when the care provided by an OBGYN falls below the accepted standard, it can result in devastating consequences. If you or a loved one has been a victim of OBGYN malpractice in California, it’s important to know that you have legal rights and options.
Hiring a California OBGYN malpractice lawyer can help you seek justice and compensation for the harm caused by negligent medical care. Let’s discuss the importance of hiring a California medical malpractice lawyer with Arias Sanguinetti to ensure that you receive the justice and compensation you deserve.
How to Recognize OBGYN Medical Malpractice
When it comes to the care you receive from your OBGYN, it is important to be aware of the signs of malpractice. While many OBGYNs provide excellent care, there are instances where negligence can occur, resulting in harm to you or your baby. It’s crucial to recognize the red flags and take action if you suspect malpractice.
Failure to Diagnose or Properly Treat
One of the most common signs of OBGYN malpractice is a failure to diagnose or properly treat a medical condition. This can include failing to identify pregnancy complications, not monitoring the baby’s growth and development adequately, or not addressing a mother’s health concerns during pregnancy.
Another sign of malpractice is if your OBGYN fails to properly and timely perform medical procedures, such as C-sections, resulting in injury to you or your baby. Normal labor allows perfusion of the maternal placental lakes with oxygen rich blood. Excessive uterine activity (tachysystole) prevents adequate oxygen reperfusion resulting in fetal anaerobic metabolism and the development of fetal acidosis.
With uteroplacental insufficiency, the baby is unable to get the oxygen and nutrients necessary through the placenta, and as such causes the baby to have a lack of oxygen. Hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE) is a type of newborn brain damage caused by oxygen deprivation and restricted blood flow. It can occur when a baby is not born timely after they start experiencing distress.
The standard of care further requires that the nursing personnel and managing obstetrician(s) regularly evaluate the fetal heart tracings to assure that there is no evidence of hypoxia, acidosis or acidemia as these pathologic conditions can lead to fetal brain neurologic injury, such as hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy, cerebral palsy, cerebral intracranial hemorrhage, as well as fetal death.
If your baby was born with low Apgar scores, was not breathing upon delivery, or has been diagnosed with a hypoxic injury to the brain, you should reach out to an experienced California medical malpractice attorney to see if you are able to bring a case against your medical provider(s).
Another common injury that can occur during labor and delivery is brachial plexus birth injury (Erb’s Palsy). One or 2 of every 1,000 babies sustain a brachial plexus birth palsy. Shoulder dystocia is an obstetrical emergency in which one or both of the baby’s shoulders get trapped on the mother’s pelvis during labor. It can be associated with high birth weight, maternal diabetes, and prolonged labor. The longer shoulder dystocia lasts, the higher the risk that the baby will be either injured or die. An inexperienced practitioner is significantly less likely to be able to resolve shoulder dystocia and resolve it quickly. If your baby is diagnosed with Erb’s palsy, you should consult with an experienced California medical malpractice attorney as it is frequently caused by the malpractice of your medical provider(s).
Poor Communication or Lack of Informed Consent
Another red flag is poor communication or lack of informed consent. Your OBGYN should provide clear and thorough explanations of your treatment options, risks, and benefits and obtain your informed consent before any procedures are performed. The standard of care dictates that a woman is entitled to be fully informed and actively participate in decision-making over her own reproductive health, as well as pregnancy and childbirth journey. It ensures that a woman is apprised of the various options available to her, as well as the risks, benefits, and possible complications of those options.
If you feel that your OBGYN did not adequately communicate with you or obtain your informed consent, it may be a sign of malpractice, and you should get in touch with a California personal injury lawyer.
Unprofessional Behavior or Neglect
Lastly, pay attention to any unprofessional behavior or neglect by your OBGYN or their staff. If you feel disrespected, ignored, or not given proper attention during your visits, it may indicate a lack of professionalism and potential malpractice.
If you notice any of these signs, it is essential to consult with a California OBGYN malpractice lawyer who can assess your situation and help determine if you have a valid case. Taking action against OBGYN malpractice is crucial not only for your own well-being but also for the improvement of medical standards and the prevention of future harm to other patients.
We’ve Recovered Over
One Billion Dollars For Our Clients
Why Should You Partner With a Medical Malpractice Lawyer at Arias Sanguinetti?
When it comes to cases of OBGYN malpractice, hiring a skilled and experienced malpractice lawyer is absolutely essential. It’s important to take legal action to seek justice and compensation for the harm caused in a case of medical malpractice.
- Experience: We have extensive experience in handling medical negligence cases, and we have the knowledge and expertise to navigate the complexities of the legal system. We will thoroughly review your case, gather evidence, and work with medical experts to build a strong argument on your behalf.
- Understanding of laws: We’re well-versed in the medical malpractice laws in your area, and we know how to fight for you. We will ensure that your rights are protected and that you are aware of all the legal options available to you.
- Negotiation: A malpractice lawyer will negotiate with insurance companies and other parties involved in the case to ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries, medical expenses, lost wages, and emotional suffering. We will fight for your rights and advocate for your best interests throughout the legal process.
- Holding negligent parties responsible: Taking legal action against OBGYN malpractice is not just about seeking compensation for yourself; it’s about holding negligent medical professionals accountable and preventing future harm to other patients. By hiring a malpractice lawyer, you are taking a stand against negligence and making a positive impact on the healthcare system as a whole.
Don’t let yourself or your loved one be a victim of OBGYN malpractice. Hire a California OBGYN malpractice attorney from Arias Sanguinetti today to help ensure that you receive the justice and compensation you deserve.
California OBGYN Practices Lawyer Near Me 310-844-9696
What Damages Can We Help You Recover in an OBGYN Malpractice Case?
In a medical malpractice case involving OBGYN negligence, there are various damages that you may be able to claim. These damages are intended to compensate you for the harm caused by the malpractice and help you recover both physically and emotionally. Here are some of the damages you can potentially claim:
- Medical expenses: This includes the costs of all medical treatments, surgeries, medications, and therapies that you have undergone as a result of the OBGYN malpractice. It covers past and future expenses related to your injuries or complications caused by any negligence.
- Lost wages: If you had to miss work or were unable to work due to the malpractice, you can claim the wages you lost during that period. This includes not only your current lost wages but also any potential future earnings that you may have lost as a result of your injuries.
- Pain and suffering: This refers to the physical and emotional distress you experienced as a result of the malpractice. It includes the pain, discomfort, anxiety, depression, and other negative emotions you have endured due to negligence.
- Disability or disfigurement: If the malpractice resulted in a permanent disability or disfigurement, you can get compensated for the impact it has had on your quality of life and your ability to perform daily activities.
- Loss of consortium: This refers to the loss of companionship, affection, and support from a spouse or partner due to the malpractice. If your relationship has been adversely affected by the negligence, you may be entitled to claim damages for this loss.
It’s important to note that each case is unique, and the damages you can claim may vary depending on the specific circumstances. Consulting with the team at Arias Sanguinetti will help you understand the potential damages available in your case and guide you through the legal process to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
Contact Arias Sanguinetti to Speak With a California OBGYN Malpractice Lawyer Now
Partnering with an experienced California OBGYN malpractice attorney is crucial if you or a loved one has been a victim of OBGYN malpractice. We can help you seek justice and compensation for the harm caused by negligent medical care.
By taking legal action with Arias Sanguinetti, you not only protect your own well-being but also contribute to the improvement of medical standards and the prevention of future harm to other patients. Don’t hesitate to hire a lawyer to ensure that you receive the justice and compensation you deserve; contact us now.